Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The emotions of the future

A week ago, I had a heart to heart with Puppy's birth dad, PD. I had called him with a random question late one evening. What I thought would be a throw away conversation turned into something else. Instead of two guys saying "waaaaz up" we had the most honest and raw conversation we had ever shared.

Tears were shed on both sides as fears for the future and plans for the present were discussed. In everything we talked about, it was clear that caring for Puppy was number one in both of our minds.

PD touched my heart that night as he opened up about Puppy and his hopes for Puppy in the future. I wanted to just reach through the phone, give him a big ole man hug and tell him that Puppy was so lucky to have him. I did my best with words.

I've heard people say that open adoption is too intense for them. That they couldn't handle opening their lives to other people in that way. Well, it is totally intense. It is an emotional rollercoaster. But I wouldn't trade any of that for the times I've had to get to know PD, learn about how much he cares for Puppy, and know that much more about where my son comes from.

I can't wait until Puppy is old enough to go fishing with his two dads.

3 comments:

Lori

Intense? Yes. Worth it? OH YES!

cynthia

thanks for writing this. very cool.

(A)Dad

@lori and cynthia -
Thanks you guys.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist F' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP