Why is your skin brown?
We knew that when we adopted Firefly, who is African American, we were beginning an exciting yet challenging journey. I knew it would provide some unique challenges for our son, Puppy, who is now a high energy 3 year old.
Since the town that we live in is only 1% African American, we have been hard pressed to find opportunities where Firefly was not the minority. My hope is that throughout her life, she will see that her parents have close friends who look like her, their are professionals in key roles like teacher, pediatrician, dentist, etc. who look like her, and that in different social circles in which we operate, there are large groups of people who look like her. We are going to try to do that were we live, but if we can't we are going to have to move.
So we've frequented an African American church in town over the last couple of months, and have been warmly received by the congregation. There is no child care during the sermon so the kids just bring their toys and coloring books and keep themselves occupied while the adults sing passionately and vociferously follow the preachers sermon.
Puppy brought his trains and was doing a somewhat decent job of sharing with the kids sitting next to us, when he touched the for-arm of a little girl and said, "Why is your skin brown?"
I was mortified. We were surrounded by people of color and I had no idea how they would feel about Puppy asking this question. The girl had much darker skin then Firefly, so I began to wonder if he even saw her skin color as different than his?
When we went to go "potty" half way through the sermon I tried to get him to talk about it. I asked him about his skin, and launched in to a highly persuasive and informative talk about how we get our skin color from our birth parents and that all people skin are different shades of brown, his was just a very light brown, kind of a peachy color. He latched on to the idea of peachy skin, bounced down the hallway and stopped listening to me when he got excited about standing up to go potty. The toilet at home is to large for this purpose while the urinal at church stretches all the way to the ground. Very exciting for a newly potty trained 3 year old.
Realizing I know longer had his interest or ear, I reflected on all the reasons he would ask this question and what he was trying to figure out. So what do you all think? If your kid asked this question, what would you say? I'm looking forward to reading your ideas.
Thanks in advance.


3 comments:
I don't think you need to be mortified -- we white adults have been trained to be color blind, which is why so many of us wince when our kids pick up on race. But I think it's an age-appropriate question and not even out of line manners-wise for that age. I mean, kids wonder these things. I think it would've been ok to say (right there), "[Little girl] has brown skin like her mommy/daddy just like you have lighter skin like [first mom/first dad] and Firefly has darker skin like [first mom/first dad]."
I don't think you need to be too embarrassed. He's just three.
What's so interesting to me about that morning is that we had had two interracial couples and their biracial kids over for dinner on two different days in the week before, but Puppy didn't say anything to them. I wonder what brought it to mind for him in that particular moment.
I have 6 adopted children who are Latino. My 4 younger ones are very dark. I can remember when our youngest daughter made her first comment about "color"...she was sitting in her Daddy's lap talking when she said, "Daddy you know why mosquitos love me so much? It's cause they think I'm chocolate!" So simple. She is prettier and so much more inviting than any chocolate I have ever seen! I do not really do the "love is blind" with my children. The truth is LOVE DOES NOT CARE! You will have a lot of opportunities in the future to built self-confidence in your little one...confidence in himself and his uniques family. It is all in the way YOU deal with it...and never worry about things that are true. I always ask my children when someone says something about them(usually a sibling) "Is is true?" Which begs a the talk....if it is not true? Ignore it. If it is true? "You are brown." Yes you are, God made you that way so it is exactly as you should be! The same applies to the asking of questions. I do not think ANY parent who was confident in who they are would have a hard time sweetly answering a little child:)
Blessings,
Amanda
Post a Comment