Monday, August 17, 2009

Back in the saddle

Hey world,
Writing just hasn't been that relaxing for me these past couple months, as you can see. But I've got some thoughts and remarks worth sharing, I think. Here goes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firefly is gorgeous and has the most beautiful brown eyes. All she wants to do is hold on to my finger and walk everywhere. Especially up and down stairs. We've got her birth mom coming over in two Fridays, she'll spend the night and go home Saturday. I'm really excited for her to see how much Firefly has grown. I'm also excited for her to experience Firefly's emerging personality. I'm loving it. Some spunk, some love of performance, a definite sense of "HEY!!! I'm right HERE!!" If you can catch my meaning.

We have had very little contact with Firefly's birthdad, but I've got his address and we sent him photos 6th's months ago. Hero thinks its about time we send him some more, so....that's the goal for this week. Send him some photos and a little note. Last time he responded through Firefly's birthmom very positively and sent some little books up for Firefly about princesses and all that.

Here's to another shot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm at church yesterday and one of our community (mind you he's not the brightest in the world, but he is an adult and all that) asks me, "My, she's dark. Are you sure she's not adopted?"

As I just fall apart laughing (on the inside) about the million things that I find funny about this statement...

"Oh Sh!t, she is adopted and I did it by accident...what was I thinking?"

"Sir, do you actually believe I could adopt somebody without knowing it?"

"Dude, it is a genetic impossibility that our biological daughter would look like Firefly, are you on crack?"

etc.

I respond matter of factly "Actually both of our children are adopted."

"Oh, I didn't know." Was his response.

And I walked away with Firefly clinging to my ring finger walking next to me chuckling to myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Puppy's Birthdad comes up this Sunday night for a 4 day visit. I hope it goes well. Hero has to work and so we're going to drop Firefly off at the babysitters and PD and I will take Puppy to football practice. I coach a team at the local high school. We'll try it on Monday and see how it goes. I'm worried that my 3 year old boy wont be able to be occupied with PD for the 2.5 hours of practice. But there's a park and we'll bring toys and all that...We'll see. I'm hoping it will be bonding for them.

Puppy and I were talking about how Christmas is after Thanksgiving in the car today when he asks me what Thanksgiving is about. I tell him its when we celebrate all that we are thankful for. I mention my folks and Hero. Unprompted he says "I'm thankful for PD." Pause. "And I'm thankful for PM too. " I tell him so am I.

5 comments:

Anonymous

I'm glad you've got someone at church monitoring whether all the kids look legitimate! I probably shouldn't have laughed at that, but it cracked me up!

(A)Dad

@Motherissues - totally, I was just shocked at the comment. Our pastor mentioned to the church that Firefly was adopted when we had her dedicated, but I guess He wasn't there that day and just thought that two whiter-than-heck parents could give birth to a very dark girl with level 4 curls. Funny.

luna

welcome back. sounds like you've got a lot going on. wishing you all well with the upcoming contact and visits.

Lori

I would have laughed out loud. I don't know how you managed to stop yourself!

Welcome back Adaddio...

Chris

Hi (A)Dad. Thanks for writing again. As an adoptive dad-to-be, knowing I'm not the only guy out there writing about the experience is incredibly helpful. I'm looking forward to hearing more about Hero, Firefly, and the rest of the family.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist F' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP