Saturday, August 22, 2009

A trip to the airport...

So tonight at dinner I asked Puppy if he wants to go to the airport with me tomorrow night and pick up Ray (his birthdad). It will be a late night for my three year old but not too crazy late. We should get back before 9pm. Its going to be his perfect little night. We'll probably get a Happy Meal on the way, and go greet someone who is flying from out of state to just see him. We've had a lot of visitors this summer who have spent a lot of time with him and he's loved it. I feel there is something different about this one...maybe I'm just reading into it, but it feels like Puppy knows Ray is his special visitor.

The plan is a bit crazy, so I'm hoping for the best. On Monday Hero works and so Ray and I will wake up early, drop Firefly off at the babysitter's, but Puppy, Ray and I will then go off to practice. I'm coaching football at a local high school and we are in the middle of summer camp. Ray is up for it and he's going to play with Puppy for those 2.5 hours where I'll be focused on the team. I'm nervous because that's a lot of time to keep Puppy occupied. If my little guy can't handle it and just melts down...we'll figure something else out for Tuesday.

Before he went to bed tonight Puppy says to me "This week I don't have to go to Natalie's [his babysitter] because I'm going to practice with you and Ray!"

Ray will stay with us until Wednesday night and something tells me that this is going to be a real significant visit for Puppy as he gets older. I'll let you know how it goes at the end of the week. Here's to open adoptions, an extended family, and fun with three year olds.

6 comments:

Jennifer

Wow - it sounds like your family has really embraced open adoption. It's good to read a post like this and to know that you folks are out there really trying to make this work.

My husband and I are in the middle of the adoption process and we're still a bit stuck on the question of openness...me leaning toward it and my husband not so much (but also at least willing to talk and think about it...) Thanks for sharing your story here - it's very informative and will certainly be one of the factors to help to guide us in our thinking as we move forward.

Hope you and Puppy and Ray have a wonderful, wonderful time together!!

mama2roo

have a great visit! i think even if it seems less significant now, its later when puppy looks back that he'll see how incredible itreally is.

luna

wishing you all a great visit! I think puppy will remember this one for a long time.

(A)Dad

@ Jennifer - I tell you what Jenn, I wouldn't trade open adoption for anything. Its come with its own share of emotional ups and downs, frustrations and joys, but to be able to include my kids biological family in to their life from the beginning has meant the world to me. It has normalized the world of adoption for us, and I feel like it has given us the greatest opportunity to provide our children with a sense of "wholeness" and "belonging." Something I so desperately want them to experience in their lives.

Check out my wife's blog and you'll get a deeper picture of our values on open adoption:

www.productionnotreproduction.com

mama2roo

how'd practice go?

chantel

love it! me and my husband are parents to a 2 year old and we have an open adoption. i can't get enough of reading and relating!

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist F' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP